Social Environmental and Scientific Education (SESE) Plan
In The Commons N.S. SESE provides opportunities for the child to explore, investigate and develop an understanding
of the natural, human, scientific, historical, social and cultural environment in which they live. This plan forms the basis of individual teacher’s long and short term planning.
Vision: SESE fosters
children’s respect for the past, responsibility for our living world, and inspires them for the scientific future.
Aims: To endorse the aims of the SESE curriculum.
1. Curriculum Planning
Strands and Strand Units:
Outlined below are the strands in the SESE Curriculum and the skills that we hope to develop. Each strand is subdivided into Strand Units which focus on particular concepts.
- Human Environments
- Natural Environments
- Environmental Awareness and Care
- Myself and my Family
- Early People and Ancient Societies
- Life, society, work and culture in the past
- Eras of change and conflict
- Politics, conflict and
- Continuity and change over time
- Living things
- Energy and Forces
- Environmental awareness and care
- A sense of place and space
- Maps, globes and graphical skills
- Geographical Investigation Skills
- Time and Chronology
- Change and Continuity
- Cause and Effect
- Using Evidence
- Synthesis and communication
- Working Scientifically
- Designing and making
Approaches and Methodologies
Teachers can choose from the following:
- Whole class work
- Small group work
- Individual work on chosen topics or projects
- Closed activities
- Open investigations
- Teacher-directed approach
Linkage and Integration
We will explore possibilities to integrate the SESE subjects at all levels. Teachers create their own integrated topics by referring to the Teacher Guidelines in Geography,
History and Science.
2. Multi-Grade Teaching
Our school has multi-grade classes. We follow a two-year cycle so that all curriculum areas are covered within the two years according to the plan of the relevant teachers.
3. Assessment and Record Keeping
The following may be used:
- teacher-designed tasks and tests
- Brainstorm/concept-mapping,pyramid ranking,ladder
- work samples, portfolios and projects
- Pupil/parental feedback
- Curriculum profiles.
Teachers will differentiate within their class for all children to ensure that objectives are attainable for every child. We believe in equality of participation and access. To ensure this
occurs teachers will employ some/all of the following initiatives ...
- Find out what pupils know beforehand
- Vary content pace
- Ask a variety of questions
- Offer a variety of
- Offer a variety of recording techniques
- Be conscious of the “literacy barrier”
- Vary class organisation
- Consider groups carefully
of SNA/SET support
- Avail of peer support/tutoring
Our teachers work in keeping with the recommendations in the Primary School Curriculum (page 70) for SESE, i.e. a minimum of two and a quarter
hours in Infant years, with three hours for classes 1st – 6th per week. On occasion, time will be blocked as appropriate.
Resources used within Classrooms
Junior & Smallworld History, Geography & Science Junior
Senior Infants Smallworld History, Geography & Science Senior Infants
Unlocking SESE History, Geography & Science(Jn.& Sn Inf)
1st & 2nd History, Geography & Science Smallworld
1 and 2 (Alternate years)
Unlocking S.E.S.E. 1St & 2nd
3rd & 4th History,
Geography, Science (Smallworld) 3 and 4 (Alternate years)
Unlocking SESE 3rd
Internet sites – variety according to topic
Classroom resources eg.wall
maps,time lines,display models etc.
5th & 6th
History, Geography, Science Smallworld 5 and 6(Alternate years)
SESE 5th & 6th
National Geographic Magazines, other publications as necessary.
Shared school resources..eg.maps,solar system model,skeleton,model
torso showing internal organs...School Science Kit (all strands)
3. ICT Resources used within classrooms
1. Individual Teachers’ Planning and Reporting
Teachers write long term plans for each SESE subject. We also
produce a fortnightly plan for each subject, which combine to form a Cuntas Míosúil.
Local people with expertise in SESE topics include:
- historians (Patsy Kavanagh; annual historical presentation)
- District Nurse/Dental Nurse
- IT experts(SMART Programme; Safe & Secure Online)
- Wildlife experts (live display of captured wild animals)
- Na Gardai
- County Road Safety Officer...............
1. Local Places of SESE Interest(see History Trail Of Killybegs...a booklet compiled
by the pupils in 5th/6th class)
- Fintra Beach
- Local Waterworks Plant (Annual walk)
- Cert College
- Old school building
- Mass Rock (Cnoc na Feola)
- Church and graveyard
- St.Catherine`s Well
- Wildlife Park
- Heritage Centre
- Killybegs Pier.........
Each teacher has responsibility for implementing this school plan within their classroom. The principal is responsible for ensuring all teachers are aware of the plan and use it within their classrooms.
School Year 2019-2020 or whenever the need arises
Ratification: 30th May 2017
Ratified by The Board of Management